Sunday, April 13, 2014

another 'health' post ;)


Seems a lot of people are thinking about their health recently ... must be the time of year!

I had to do a little write-up for a newsletter at work, and had to provide a more 'professional' picture (ie, not a 'selfie-style' pic which I would usually do).  When I did this one quickly before work (with camera and tripod), I was shocked with how overweight I looked ... it's not a bad picture, but I can notice the difference - especially in my face!


Sometimes it takes something as simple as this to 'wake up'.

I'm 40 this year - in September - and I really want to get a handle on my weight and my health once and for all, and figure out a healthy way of life that I can easily maintain.

I have learnt so many valuable lessons over the years, and have gotten back into exercise (yoga about 4-5 times a week, as well as lunchtime walking), so I need to put together all I have learnt.

I got another shock today - while working out my BMI here, I found that I am technically classified as overweight.  I'm embarrassed just typing that!!  What was more of a shock, I inputted the heaviest I have ever been (back when I was about 21), and I would have been classed as obese!!  So at least I haven't been back there again ;)

Everyone's health journey is different - but I firmly believe that what works for one person does not necessarily work for another.  It all depends on one's psychological makeup, as well as their own bodies and metabolism.  So what am I trying now?  Well, would you believe I am counting calories?

I have been on Weight Watchers, SureSlim and I Quit Sugar ... but I have NEVER counted calories in my entire life!  I downloaded an app called My Fitness Pal so I could track my exercise.  I mentioned it to Anita, laughing, saying 'oh look you can input calories here, how ridiculous!'.  Of course, that then led into 'wouldn't it be funny to see how many calories we should be eating' ... I should be eating much less, Anita should be eating more.  Hey, wouldn't it be a laugh to input what we eat for a week or so and see what happens!  Well, that 'laugh' turned out to be far more beneficial than I thought it would.  I was shocked at my portion sizes, but it also encouraged me that all my exercise was really helping my calorie intake as well.  Now, when Anita asks me if I'd like a slice of cake, I look at my 'food diary' and say 'umm, actually I'd rather spend those calories on a glass of wine instead of that cake!'.  Tonight we decided to go on a 1/2 hour walk so I could build up some more calories.

So ... a week in, and I can't wait to weigh in tomorrow (I'll update this post when I have).  In a week, my energy levels have already improved, and I don't feel so bloated.  The app even includes a nutritional counter, so I can see which vitamins and minerals I am low on so my choices can be tweaked during the day.

We'll see how I go.  But on record right here on my blog - I really want to be at my goal weight (55kg/121 pounds) by my 40th birthday.  That's 5 months away.  Not just that, but I want to be comfortable enough to be able to stick with it (not feeling like I am on a 'diet') so I never have to worry about  my weight again.  I have some personal goals too (like getting a photoshoot done with brilliant local photographer Brent Leideritz), so that will be my present to myself when I achieve my goal ;)

Onwards and upwards!  (or should that be 'downwards'? :P)


UPDATE: I lost 1.9kg (4.1 pounds) in the first week - probably mostly fluid, but it's a good start!


8 comments:

  1. Knowing how driven you are, I don't think you will have much trouble achieving your goal! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My main weakness is food though - and you're such a good cook!! ♥

      Delete
  2. Derek uses My Fitness Pal and he loves it! I think it's a great tool to use along with exercise. =D It's all about feeling good....and eating your cake too (sometimes *wink*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that's good to know that Derek has been enjoying it too! Yes, sometimes seeing everything in front of you is actually a good incentive to exercise ;)

      Cake ... mmmm, cake .... :P

      Delete
  3. I hope you do well with your goals! However, I think you look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you!! But my clothes don't fit, and I can't afford a whole new wardrobe, haa!!! ;)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this post. I went to the link and now will have to think about my own health. Good luck with your goals, you definitely seem to have drive so I expect you will manage it. And let me assure you, there is life after 40 - lots of it hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cross fingers! I'm really looking forward to 'life after 40' - I get the feeling that I will be in my prime in my 40s, so bring it on!!! ;)

      Delete