Next I had to put in the 'floor', then 3 rows of waste yarn. I discovered that I prefer using bobbins rather than 'butterflies' of yarn, which I found too cumbersome. In the picture below I'm starting the 'double half-hitches' - a process I found quite difficult to learn, as my textbook only gave me one 'how-to' diagram, without a picture of what they are supposed to look like when finished ... so hopefully I've got it right!
I was getting the hang of weaving, once I realised that beating the weft down would hide the warp threads!
And here I'm practising changing colours randomly:
So now I'm feeling more confident ... I guess I'll find out whether I'm on the right track when I hand in my first assignment!